Jon and I had a busy weekend full of neighborhood barbecues and baseball games. On Sunday, we were craving a home-cooked meal. I had seen a stuffed meatball slider recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a shot. We even amped it up a bit further with some tasty pretzel slider buns. These are surprisingly easy to make and SO delicious.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 oz mozzarella (save some extra to top on the meatballs before putting them in the oven)
- 20 ounces tomato puree
- 3 oz white cheddar, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- fresh basil leaves
- 6 pretzel slider buns
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the ground beef, egg, garlic, panko, oregano, red pepper flakes, olive oil, salt, pepper and most of the mozzarella. Save about 2 ounces of mozzarella for the topping.
- Form meat into 6 meatballs. Flatten each, insert a 1/2 inch cube of white cheddar into each and re-roll each into a meatball shape.
- Arrange meatballs in a 9×13 baking dish and pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the meatballs cool for at least 5 minutes. The cheese inside will be extremely hot.
- Place meatballs between the pretzel buns and top each with a basil leaf.